Independent Member for Shepparton District Suzanna Sheed says the 2018/19 Victorian State Budget marks a turning point for the region.
Ms Sheed said the record funding for rail upgrades and significant investment in education, roads and the region’s indigenous community would deliver far-reaching benefits for the Shepparton District community.
This year’s budget brings total investment in the electorate since the 2014 election to more than half a billion dollars.
“This is an incredible time for Shepparton District,” Ms Sheed said.
“We have already had more than $230 million committed to major infrastructure projects such as the redevelopment of Goulburn Valley Health, the new Shepparton Art Museum and preliminary road and rail works by this Government, so to see that followed up with another huge investment is so pleasing.
“The $313m for the Shepparton train line will be a game-changer for the entire region and, together with the funding for the Shepparton Education Plan, will also help create so many opportunities for our young people.
“These have been priority areas for me since entering Parliament and I am just so excited about what this will mean for the future of our region.”
The budget includes:
- $313m to upgrade the Shepparton train line and enable 9 VLocity return services each day by 2021;
- $23m for the Munarra Centre for Regional Excellence;
- $20.5m for the Shepparton Education Plan to fund a new super secondary school and Mooroopna Integrated Children’s Centre;
- $20m to upgrade roundabouts on the Shepparton Alternate Route;
- $500,000 for upgrades to Ardmona Primary School;
- $400,000 for a masterplan for the Barmah visitor precinct;
- A funding boost for Neighbourhood House programs; and
- A regional jobs procurement office in Shepparton to ensure local businesses benefit directly from Government-funded projects.
Ms Sheed said the Shepparton District community should be proud of their sustained advocacy.
“It has been almost four years since our community set its agenda and I don’t think any of us could have imagined what such a massive investment in our region would look like, but here we are and it is wonderful,” Ms Sheed said.
“This community has spent a long time calling for a better deal for Shepparton District, so this is a big win for everyone who has contributed.
“It is a privilege to represent such an engaged and vibrant community and I look forward to continue working with you to deliver even more than we have already achieved.”
Riahn Smith 0419 138 978│email@example.com