An exciting opportunity exists to join the team supporting the Independent Member for Shepparton District in the Victorian Parliament as a legislation and policy officer.
The role is ideal for a research and policy enthusiast who values a challenging position with diverse responsibilities and duties including data-gathering, writing and policy development.
It would suit a recent graduate or someone with 1-2 years similar experience with an interest in law, current affairs and government.
- Provide high quality research, policy briefs and analysis of upcoming government legislation
- Monitor and analyse government statistics and reports
- Liaise with the Member and staff regarding policy direction
- Engage with key stakeholders on issues relevant to the Shepparton District
- Develop position papers and submissions
- Assist with the preparation of parliamentary speeches for the Member on specific government Bills
The successful candidate will have:
- A university Bachelor Degree (preferably in Law or Arts with relevant areas of study), or demonstrated equivalent work experience/prior learning
- Strong research and analytical skills and a willingness to learn
- Effective communication, with a particular skill in articulating complex information in accessible written form
- Ability to produce quality material with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and adjust quickly to changing priorities
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a small team, while maintaining high professional standards
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Initiative and accountability to ensure high quality results
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- A demonstrated understanding of Victoria’s system of government and interest in politics as well as a familiarity with issues relevant to the Shepparton District would be an advantage
Please note this is a full-time ongoing role, based primarily in Shepparton, with salary based on experience and employment subject to a six-month probation period.
To apply for this position, please submit a 1-2 page cover letter addressing the required skills and salary expectation, together with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for this role close at 5pm on 8 March, 2019.